27 July 2006

Pirates 2 - Too Bad

We went to see Pirates of the Carribean 2 last night. I must say that I was underwhelmed.

It was amusing, but it was very, very busy. Lot's of fights and action and visual humour with absolutely no point whatsoever. The whole adventure in the first half of the movie is some nonsense about Turner trying to find Capt. Jack who has been appointed the sacrificial god of some local tribe, and their subsequent escape. This is completely irrelevent to the plot and drags on way too long.

Lots and lots of needless deaths later (I thought this was a family film), the plot finally emerges about the octopus-like Davy Jones and his heart, but even this is nebulous and unsatisfying as a driving force for the movie.

And worse, it's one of those movies where nothing is resolved at the end (kind of like the disappointing 2nd Matrix movie).

After all the fighting and special sea creature effects, I got the feeling I wasn't really watching a movie. Despite being a mind-numbing 2.5 hours long, I really didn't get a sense of the main characters. Johnny Depp, Orlando Bloom, and Keira Knightly hardly have any meaningful lines, nor did anyone else.

Johnny Depp has a great entrance yet again, though. See that part, everyone.

Anyway, I'm glad I saw it, and I will see the conclusion, but it's not a movie I would ever watch again.

Sorry, PZ, the cephalopods looked great, but the film sucked.

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home