22 March 2007

Stolen Link Dump

Go to The Bronze Blog for a neato collection of time killing links. First is an interesting strategy game about placing guard towers to shoot invading monsters. Second are reviews of the movies Moonraker (very poor James Bond movie) and Moonwalker (Michael Jackson, need I say more), respectively (side note, over the Christmas holidays, my wife's family pulled out their old Sega Genesis to play NHL '94, but I also noted that they had the video game based on Moonwalker - scary). And third are two very high quality fan-made lightsaber duels. Note, though, that in these duels it is very easy to a disarmed person to dodge the lightsaber attacks of the other and in turn successfully attack his opponent with his hands and feet, making me wonder why you wouldn't just dodge your opponent's lightsaber in the beginning and then stab him. On the whole, I still prefer the lightsaber duel from ESB; it's not over-the-top flashy and complicated like the duels from the prequels.

Labels: ,

3 Comments:

At March 25, 2007 9:43 a.m., Blogger Carlo said...

Hey your royal Aardvark-iness, completely off topic here but you may want to weight in on LArry Moran's post about how engineers are perceived to be more like to be creationists.

It's funny how people always say that Biologists are the 'least religious'. In my dept. at Mac (Biology), I'd be surprised if 30%-40% were atheists (A recent article in Science said that about ~70% of Biologists were atheists.

 
At March 25, 2007 9:44 a.m., Blogger Carlo said...

Er... that's 'weigh-in'... obviously. And 'more likely'...

I need coffee.

 
At March 26, 2007 9:19 a.m., Blogger King Aardvark said...

Thanks for the link. I'll go take a look. I'm not surprised, though - I've been hanging around talk.origins and Pharyngula long enough to hear all the stories. I've been both a biology student and an engineering student, and I did feel like there were slightly more religious people in engineering, though I didn't take a survey or anything.

Part of the problem may be that we engineers aren't scientists per se. We start with the science that's given to us and then figure out ways to use it. We tend not to think about how the science works (we have design codes so we don't need to think that much) nor do we deal with the type of problems that interfere with religious thinking (with the possible exception of mining engineers who get to see all that geology stuff).

There are also climate change deniers in engineering, too.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home