22 May 2007

World War Prophesy based on Hallucinogenic Ramblings

My wife has a hard time remembering stuff from history class - afterall, the last time she took history was over a decade ago - so she likes me to remind her about when major events happened and why they are important. On the weekend, I was reminding her about the world wars, namely when they took place and who the primary conbatants were, when she sullenly proclaimed, "There will be another world war eventually..." I steeled myself for what I figured she was going to say next, and I was right. "...At the End of Days," she eventually followed up with, fulfilling my little self-prophecy.

Evidently, I didn't do a good enough job steeling myself, for I blurted out something about not choosing to get my predictions of the future from the hallucinogenic ramblings of some guy almost 2000 years ago.

She then said that they weren't hallucinogenic, but I'm pretty sure she's never read Revelations. I know for a fact that neither her bible study group nor herself independently have gotten to the end of the bible yet. Independently, she's still halfway through the OT while her bible study started in the NT but is only in John. In fact, I'll go out on a limb and guess that her knowledge of Revelations comes from the Left Behind movie and maybe a church sermon or two.

For the record, Revelations contains mentions of:
- ...four living creatures, and they were covered with eyes, in front and in back. The first living creature was like a lion, the second was like an ox, the third had a face like a man, the fourth was like a flying eagle. Each of the four living creatures had six wings and was covered with eyes all around, even under his wings.
- ...locusts looked like horses prepared for battle. On their heads they wore something like crowns of gold, and their faces resembled human faces. Their hair was like women's hair, and their teeth were like lions' teeth. They had breastplates like breastplates of iron, and the sound of their wings was like the thundering of many horses and chariots rushing into battle.
- ...And I saw a beast coming out of the sea. He had ten horns and seven heads, with ten crowns on his horns, and on each head a blasphemous name. The beast I saw resembled a leopard, but had feet like those of a bear and a mouth like that of a lion.

These among many, many other similar things. Hallucinogenic? You tell me.

By the way, a great (though not yet completed) fun resource for Revelations is Apocamon: The Final Judgement.

Labels: ,

5 Comments:

At May 22, 2007 3:55 p.m., Blogger Bronze Dog said...

I have a feeling whatever plant those came from is now extinct from over-harvesting.

 
At May 22, 2007 3:58 p.m., Blogger King Aardvark said...

Sounds like good stuff, doesn't it?

 
At May 22, 2007 6:18 p.m., Blogger Carlo said...

Nothing hallucinogenic about that... if you weren't aware, colloquially it's called JAPAN.

You know actually, the entire Japanese cartoon thing may in fact just be a plot to undermine Christianity. Random Devil hentai stuff... ouch! Parents are probably telling their kids to stop believing what they see on TV; little do they know that it's all from the bible!

 
At May 23, 2007 10:06 a.m., Blogger TheBrummell said...

Nothing hallucinogenic about that... if you weren't aware, colloquially it's called JAPAN.

Dude, I think Japan is an hallucigen.

That, and their pacifist constitution imposed on them by the USA after WWII forced them to re-direct their warlike skills and work-ethic to other pursuits - like being the most crazy-ass weirdo place on Earth. This is why I love Japan and Japanese culture.

 
At May 23, 2007 10:10 a.m., Blogger TheBrummell said...

...And I saw a beast coming out of the sea. He had ten horns and seven heads, with ten crowns on his horns, and on each head a blasphemous name. The beast I saw resembled a leopard, but had feet like those of a bear and a mouth like that of a lion.

Typical of your boring-ass mammal-centric small-world God. This is the same deity that was supposed to have created, by shear force of will, all life on Earth? So he sends a monster to kick some ass that's got features of Actiodactyls and a few Carnivores. Boring. You'd think the deity that created Cephalopods, Ichneumonid wasps, Holothurians, and the Malaria parasite could come up with something more freaky than an ur-carnivore with a few bovine features thrown in.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home