25 April 2008

Mmmm, souvlaki

After three weeks of living hell while my supervisor was away ("I'm going to New Zealand for 3 weeks; have these two bridges and this bridge rehab database completed by the time I get back. By the way, I haven't left you any of the background info that will allow you to do these things and all the other people working on these projects, regardless of whether they work for our company or for the owners, take forever to get anything done.") things are finally winding down. My supervisor is back, so all the crap I tried (unsuccessfully) to finish while he was away now gets dumped on him.

I can guarantee that it will still be waiting for me when I get back from my vacation to Greece in two weeks.

No that I no longer care about work (I'm just waiting out the clock now), and I finished taking care of all the mortgage/lawyer stuff for our new house, and the trip planning has been finished, I can finally start to look forward to Greece. I'm a history nerd, so this is going to be really cool. I may have to drag my bored wife around several museums and ruins, but I'll be happy.

We'll be taking a bus tour from Athens to Meteora, Delphi, Olympia, Napflion, Corinth, Mycenae, and finally back to Athens. After that, we get a more leisurely 2 days in Mykonos, 3 days in Santorini, and 3 days in Crete. We'll be taking lots of pictures, eating lots of gyros, and probably spending way too much money for people who have just bought a house.

Fortunately, my company just gave its staff a $1000 bonus. Yay! Let me open this here cheque and - hey! damn government took $418 out of my bonus.

Labels: , ,

2 Comments:

At April 27, 2008 11:37 a.m., Blogger Carlo said...

Greece sounds awesome! The gf and I are going to Europe this summer as well. We looked into Greece but it seemed too costly, so we've settled on Vienna and Prague. It was a big debate as to whether we'd go somewhere simply to 'relax' or explore and learn stuff. I think my desire to learn won out...

 
At May 13, 2008 11:17 a.m., Blogger King Aardvark said...

I'm now back! And a wee bit jetlagged, too.

Greece was good. Some of the most awe-inspiring scenery in the world. And it was very expensive. We've decided that next vacation we take will be to some 3rd world country where you can stay in a luxury hotel for $10 a night.

"It was a big debate as to whether we'd go somewhere simply to 'relax' or explore and learn stuff. I think my desire to learn won out..."

We had the same discussion, with the same result. However, a week of intense bus tours around the mainland and hitting the museums and historic sites in Athen took that desire right out of me. By the time we got to the islands, we were in full 'relax' mode.

I've been to Vienna but don't remember much. I've heard good things about Prague.

If you'll excuse me, I have to go back to attempting to do real work while not passing out. I spent about 23 hours traveling/sitting in airports yesterday and my brain is still floating somewhere over the Atlantic.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home