30 November 2009

On Doubt

In the Alpha Course and weekend retreat, there was quite a bit of discussion on the role of doubt in Christianity (namely, there should be NONE, and any doubt is Satan trying to mess you up). I've tried many times to get Christians (including my wife) to understand the positive power of doubt. I've mainly failed, but it's worth a try.

Along those line, here is an excellent post by Akusai of Action Skeptics explaining exactly how important doubt is to a healthy human mind.

Labels: , , ,

1 Comments:

At December 29, 2016 1:35 p.m., Blogger Unknown said...

I know this is very old, but I am keen to look into experiences of the Alpha course. Your blogs here are really great.

On the subject of doubt, I always respond to Christians with ideas from a great book by a theologian. Play on their own terms. It is by Robert Davidson and called "The Courage to Doubt" - any edition. It will give you heaps of passages from the bible and sound exegesis that basically shows how shallow evangelicals are in their abhorrence to doubt and that silly stuff about satan trying to knock you out.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home