20 December 2009

This damned year is almost over. Merry Christmas!

Well folks, this year was a weird and troublesome one.

It started with my wife unemployed and me recovering from the brain-melting travesty that was the Alpha Course.

Work was busy and made needlessly complicated by numerous architects, government agencies, and architects working for government agencies, but I did manage to design several structures that are starting to be constructed in the local area. I haven't crushed anyone to death in a pile of steel and concrete. Yet.

My father-in-law suddenly passed away, leading to much hardship for my wife's family. This resulted in a horribly busy summer for me, filled with constant commuting back to my hometown to visit my wife, zero help around the house and less time to do it in, and a guargantuan overgrown garden out back.

In the fall, my wife was back so things resumed a bit of normality. Highlights of this time include a trip to Las Vegas, a trip to Pittsburgh, accidentally breaking a girl's nose in a rec league floorhockey game, and getting my fingernail crushed at another floorhockey game.

So things are starting to settle a bit as the year wraps up. Not only that, some good things are starting to happen: I just got a sweet raise, so I now make significantly more money than my brother again; he just defended his masters thesis, mostly successfully, so the end is in sight for a 3+ year nightmare of absentee profs and lack of money; I just won a nice door prize at the company Christmas potluck; and we just took the plunge and bought a Christmas tree.

Fake Tree. Pretty sweet - it's almost like we're real people now.

One thing I have noticed is that I'm getting older. It wasn't that long ago that what I wanted for Christmas were big fun things, like TVs, computers, video games, etc. My big list item this year: new bathroom faucets. And I'm damn excited about getting them, too.

Man, I am getting freakin' old.

So things are looking up, other than the "getting old" thing. However, the year ends with the prospect of further dread. My mother-in-law will be moving in with us for the next few months (that means no more walking around in my underwear). My wife's still unemployed. And that fingernail I mentioned earlier in this post is going to come off soon.

Gross.

So have a Merry Christmas and we'll talk in the new year, m'kay?

Labels:

3 Comments:

At December 21, 2009 4:30 p.m., Blogger Carlo said...

I sir shall have a merry ChimmZ, but you can have your merry Xmas.

One thing I have noticed is that I'm getting older. It wasn't that long ago that what I wanted for Christmas were big fun things, like TVs, computers, video games, etc. My big list item this year: new bathroom faucets. And I'm damn excited about getting them, too.

I've noticed this as well, however, in my case, I think that it's partially due to the fact that I can actually afford to buy those luxury items during the regular year - thus I can wait for ChimmZ to get proper things that I've been putting off.

 
At December 21, 2009 11:16 p.m., Blogger King Aardvark said...

You can afford stuff. That's great. I, on the other hand, have a mortgage.

 
At December 22, 2009 3:17 p.m., Blogger Carlo said...

Well, I suppose that I do have a slightly consequence free life-style at the moment. I mean that I live in an apartment in a place that is by its very nature, temporary. Thus, there's no point in investing - not that I could if I wanted to. Therefore I am able to afford luxuries at the cost of delaying my normal adult development indefinitely. Thank you science!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home