17 July 2006

Case for a Creator review coming


I read too much. In the coming little while, I intend to start doing reviews of books that I'm reading or have recently read, so that I can give back a little to other avid readers. I read mostly non-fiction (science and history mostly), but there are going to be exceptions. The first exception is going to be The Case for a Creator: A Journalist Investigates Scientific Evidence that Points Towards God (2004) by Christian apologist Lee Strobel. The so called "scientific evidence" is almost exclusively fiction. I'll also look at more sensible books, like The Ancestor's Tale by Richard Dawkins, which I'm currently reading, and The Last Three Minutes by Paul Davies.

Now, you're probably wondering why I would read a book such as The Case for a Creator when I'm an atheist. Well, I was asked to by my wife who thought it would be a good way to try to open my mind toward accepting God. Instead, it just showed me that the best Christian apologists can come up with are just empty philosophical comments and some outright fabrications.

I then wanted to see what other skeptical readers thought about the arguments, in the same vein as the Talk Origins reviews of Jonathan Wells' Icons of Evolution or Michael Behe's Darwin's Black Box. But the only one I could find was this one, by Paul Doland of Internet Infidels, so I've decided to do my own series looking at the arguments, each chapter in turn. Look for that in the future as well.

In the meantime, check out the Wikipedia article for The Case for a Creator (link above), which I wrote and organized a lot of, just to get a feel for what's involved in reviewing this book. Note that the article has to be carefully NPOV and general, so I can't tear into it the way it deserves.

Labels: , ,

2 Comments:

At July 19, 2006 6:16 p.m., Anonymous Anonymous said...

I look forward to your review. Sounds like it should be interesting! And this, I think, typifies the difference between atheists and theists - most of them are not actually open to reading opposing viewpoints at all. Whereas most atheists I know of are willing to examine the evidence again at any time.

 
At January 04, 2008 11:54 a.m., Blogger King Aardvark said...

A) I've been procrastinating for over a year now. Don't expect a thorough review anytime soon.

B) The Case for a Creator wikipedia page has been merged with the Lee Strobel page, and been watered-down wrt criticisms.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home