21 December 2006

Frank Gehry, meet my foot in your nuts

I'm a proud civil engineer. I design buildings for a living, and for me, nothing is more important that producing a safe building in a reasonable time frame for a reasonable chunk o' change. And, as a self-respecting civil engineer, I share a common trait with my colleagues: I think architects suck.

There are many reasons for this. First, the simplist reason is that we are under their command whenever we design a structure. But the problem is that they keep changing their minds so that we'll finish the design for something only to be told of a "small architectural change" that requires us to redesign the whole thing the day before the submission date. And they often want really stupid things for aesthetic purposes, like no columns in a wide atrium, or funny curved things.

Second, is they can just be too functionally useless. I hate Frank Gehry. Why? Because he designed one nice thing (the Guggenheim Museum) but followed up with countless uninspired blobs, which are damn hard to design, by the way. I actually worked on a Gehry-designed building recently, for shame.

Third, and lastly, I hate architects because of this:


Merry Freakin' Christmas!

Labels: , ,

1 Comments:

At December 27, 2006 3:11 p.m., Blogger C. L. Hanson said...

That's funny, I'd always thought architects had to do their own engineering to make sure their buildings were structurally sound, but I guess it'd make sense that there's a team of engineers to do that...

The "last minute changes" thing reminds me a bit of software engineering. The product manager puts one thing in the specs, and after it's designed and coded the salespeople sell something different. Because the original spec wasn't what the client wanted, go figure.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home