29 March 2007

Goodbye Wisdom

As the work piles up in the office and deadlines loom, not only does the server that houses our software licenses die leaving me computationally impotent, but I'm going to miss at least a day tomorrow getting my wisdom teeth out.

I'm suffering a little trepidation about it. It's not that I've never had major oral surgury before - I had 4 teeth yanked prior to getting braces - it's that I've never been gassed or otherwise seriously drugged up before. Since I like being in control of my own brain, I'm not looking forward to it. I have been told by others that they loved the gas, so we'll see if I get converted, too.

Also, I'm not looking forward to potentially bad reactions to the surgury. My sister-in-law swelled up really badly when she got hers out. She had to go to student health services for some reason a couple of days afterwards while she was still really puffy in the face and, for some reason, the receptionist talked to her as if she was mentally challenged, speaking really slowly to her, etc. My teeth appear to be reasonably straight so they should be easy to take out. Hopefully, that will result in less swelling.

I'm well-stocked of pudding and Jell-o.

Labels: ,


At March 29, 2007 4:25 p.m., Blogger Carlo said...

I have to get all 4 Wisdom teeth yanked on May 10th... They're apparently quite 'bad' and require intensive surgery of the >$2,000 variety. I am feeling much trepidation as well. Let me know how it turns out! Good luck!

At March 29, 2007 4:36 p.m., Blogger King Aardvark said...

Will do. I only have to get 3 out. One of the top ones didn't actually form in any significant way. Mine aren't bad, only minor impaction, but since they've only come in part way and are slightly impacted, I can't clean them effectively. As such, I've got a couple of cavities back there now. That's why they have to come out. Fortunately my company health plan covers it, so I don't have to pay the estimated $1200 out of pocket.

At March 31, 2007 7:38 p.m., Anonymous Sarge said...

Mine were removed in 1964...and another two were removed in 1980. When I told the dentists about the fact that they were already gone they said that (1) The ones they took might have grown back, it's not unusual, or (2) the original dentist didn't get everything and just didn't say anything to my father.

Careful you don't get "dry sockets" or you'll REALLY know what pain is.

At April 02, 2007 8:50 a.m., Blogger King Aardvark said...

So far so good. I'll write a post detailing the specifics a little later, but right now I'm in good shape. It only took about 40 minutes to remove the 3 of them and I've been able to eat fairly well since then. I'm not in too much pain and there is very little swelling. The drugs are helpful.


Post a Comment

<< Home