09 April 2007

Squish

Not sure what this means, but since the morning of Easter Sunday, I've already seen two bunnies squished dead on the road.

I will drown my dead bunny-related sorrows by eating one of their chocolate brethren.

The Easter Sunday church service my wife dragged me to was not that interesting in that it was very similar to any other service and that I almost fell asleep several times. The only real difference was that they had baptisms afterward, which is apparently a common tradition for the Easter service. My wife looks forward to these because she finds them to be uplifting stories that reassure her faith. I was looking forward to them because I want to hear some of the crazy twisted thinking some of these people display (like the stereotypical "God sent a deer through my car windshield but he was with me protecting me so I escaped with only serious injuries, hallelujah! I believe!" - which I've actually heard). Alas, this church was right next to the university, so all 4 baptism candidates were just 1st or 2nd year students who had always been mildly religious and had just decided to get more serious. Better luck next time.

Labels:

3 Comments:

At April 09, 2007 9:00 a.m., Anonymous Anonymous said...

Some years ago a group I played with had a job up in a town called Punxatawney. That's one of the places where they dig out Phil, the groundhog, and go through the shadow thing. As you come into the town you pass a sign that says, Welcome to Punxatawney, Home of Punxatawney Phil. And under the sign there were five road killed groundhogs. While we were taking a break the mayor came over and asked how things were going, and I told him. On the way out of town we noticed the dead chucks were gone.

Yeah baptism. In some ways you have to admire such a ballsy scam as religion. You are condemned for the high crime of being born at all, and "good news", gawds son died for you! But wait! That's not enough! You have to believe this, that, and you must grovel. If you can't actually find the actual diety to grovel to, grovel to the priest. But you amn well better grovel. Submit, surrender. Interesting words.

 
At April 09, 2007 1:17 p.m., Blogger King Aardvark said...

Hey Sarge. Read Jesus and Mo (it's on my sidebar). The latest (or second latest) comic is about that.

I made the mistake of talking to my wife about a program she pointed out to me in the church bulletin about programs for young mothers and their children. I said that they want to hook them when they're young. She got very upset with me that I was equating church to drug dealers and cigarette manufacturers. I quickly had to backpeddle and point out that you can hook kids when they're young for good things, too, like reading and exercise. All the while I was thinking, "yeah, you're damn right I was equating church to drug dealers."

 
At April 09, 2007 3:13 p.m., Anonymous Anonymous said...

Luckily, my wife and I have never had any kind of a disagreement over religion in our years together. Still, I urge, um, circumspection when dealing with your dear spouse.

It's true, though, what you say about addiction. I've heard the churched who are missing sunday school or church actually use the same words I use to discribe how I feel if I miss my coffee. And a visit to exchristian websites will tell you the same as people discuss how they feel after leaving religion.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home