09 August 2007

Left Below!

My wife and I were watching The Simpsons the other day. The episode, which worried me, was the one where Homer watches the movie Left Below, a parody of the Left Behind series. I was worried because my wife typically takes anything "end times" related way too seriously, gets flustered and worries about my soul, tells me that I must read Revelations, and generally ruins the fun of any of it. I was especially worried in this case because she takes the Left Behind movie in particular way too seriously; she hasn't even read Revelations herself and got all her apocalypse-related info from stupid Kirk Cameron.

(Hmm, Kirk Cameron. Now there's someone I'd like to kick in the nuts, and not for his assheaded fundiness, either. Growing Pains was pretty awful. Did you know that his sister, Candace Cameron, married former hockey star Val Bure? It's funny and sad at the same time; most NHLers marry models - or puck bunnies who look like models - but he comes all the way from Russia to end up with the pudgy girl from Full House who's the sister of a wacko fundamentalist who thinks bananas are proof of God. But I digress...)

Long story short, my wife didn't get worked up about the Simpsons episode at all and actually thought it was funny. Can it be that she's actually developing a sense of humour about religion?

Labels: , , , ,

3 Comments:

At August 09, 2007 4:30 p.m., Blogger Berlzebub said...

I read some of the LB series, but couldn't stop laughing. I grew up with people who believed that stuff, and I found the books to actually be toned down enough to be humorous.

Anyway, you have my sympathies. My wife and I are the same way. Although, it's not as extreme for us. She doesn't consider the Bible literal, infallible, or any of that. She considers it all anecdote and alegory.

 
At August 10, 2007 9:10 a.m., Blogger King Aardvark said...

You're lucky; the only parts my wife for sure considers anecdote and alegory are the parts where it says the wife should be silent and obey ;-)

 
At August 14, 2007 10:48 p.m., Blogger tina FCD said...

Ha! All is well here in my humble abode, we are both atheists.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home