12 November 2007

I'm Old

It's my birthday today and I feel old. Mind you, I'm not actually old but I feel geriatric. (Actually, I've had chronic leg/knee injuries since grade 9, so in that way I am old. It's not the age, it's the mileage). I would feel positively ancient except my supervisor at work just turned the big 5-0 a week and a half ago (and he looks it). As it is, that makes me feel a whole lot better about my measly age.

Age is a funny thing that way: for such an absolute number, it's all relative. Normally, I feel like a baby since almost all my coworkers and friends seem to be older than me. I guess that's what happens when you leave school and join the workforce.

But at school, things were very different. I remember the tail end of the second year of my masters. I was finishing up my thesis over the summer and planning on defending in August. Meanwhile, many of my friends from my own year had either defended in May or had vacated their cubicles, preferring to start new jobs and finish their grad work at home. Filling the void were brand new MSc candidates a clear two years younger than me: too young for me to have ever socialized with them during undergrad. They looked like highschool kids. And to them, I was just some old has-been taking up valuable office space and refusing to leave. A relic. A dinosaur. A fossil. And I felt it.

Anyway, that's enough moping. Afterall, if my ancient supervisor can celebrate, so can I. I've managed to visit most of my family and get some great Indian food (mmm, lamb dhansak), and the presents so far (cash and a bookshelf) are exactly what I need, so all is well.

So really all is good. Except that I learned (the hard way) that my trusty black dress shoes have sprung a leak. Now my left foot is very soggy and will remain as such for the rest of the afternoon. That kind of puts a damper on things.

Labels: , ,

5 Comments:

At November 12, 2007 4:47 p.m., Blogger CHADMAC said...

I know how you feel, I am entering the second half of my Ph.D. (well, hopefully it works out to the halfway point) and the people on campus just keep looking younger and younger every year. Also, out of everyone in my grad school circle of friends, I am one of the oldest (if not the oldest).

When you get to the point where you can say you've been in university for almost a decade, you start to feel a touch older.

 
At November 15, 2007 9:46 a.m., Blogger Heathen Mike said...

Well happy goddamn birthday! Hope it was great - even though I was slack in my blog-checking and missed it by three days.

Hey, wait a minute...three days, Jesus in the cave...you're HIM!

 
At November 16, 2007 12:37 a.m., Anonymous Anonymous said...

Aw, quitcher belly achin' you young whippersnapper. Happy birthday, belatedly.

 
At November 16, 2007 9:19 a.m., Blogger King Aardvark said...

I shall NEVER quit my belly achin'!

Chadmac, being in university for 6 years was enough to make me feel ancient. I can't imagine how you feel.

Thanks for the b-day wishes, mike & slut. And, Mike, I'm not Jesus/God, but my brother is.

 
At November 16, 2007 3:29 p.m., Blogger Necator said...

Yeah - I know the feeing. I have arthritis in my neck, middle-age spread and I'm not middle aged), bad knees, neuropathy in my left arm, among other things. It's awesome!

Best of all, bags under the eyes that never ever go away.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home