19 December 2007

Up, down, up, down

How did conversation of a religious nature get introduced at a Christmas party, anyway?

My wife and I went to the year end/Christmas party for a sports club we're part of. We had a great, fattening time, though we did talk about religion stuff for a bit. Not heavy religion stuff - more along the lines of Catholic highschool memories.

We were talking with a few other guys. One guy just got back from his godson's christening. Missed most of the food, too. Poor guy. We had ribs. He's not Catholic (probably some protestant thing, and not too reverant at that). And he really wanted to talk to us about all the crazy up, down, up, down, up, down nonsense that goes on during Catholic ceremonies. As a non Catholic, this calesthenics routine was news to him, and struck him as being exceptionally odd and annoying. Though he felt he got a good workout.

Me and a large asian guy at the party both went to Catholic highschools so this guy complaining gave us a lot to talk about. Asian dude's school had a uniform but it didn't have a tie. WTF? I wish! I had that damn noose around my neck for 5 years. Him? Nothing. He loved the school uniform because it meant he didn't have to think about what to wear in the morning. Also, instead of buying the official itchy grey flannel dress pants from the school, he just went to Moore's and got real grey dress pants. Then he laughed at me for being strangled and itchy for 5 years. Bastard.

We also talked about those funny hand gestures that Catholics do in response to certain verbal cues (where I take the opportunity to scratch my nose, since I have no idea what the hell everyone else is doing).

Back to the up, down, up, down crap at mass - asian dude was smart. He became the AV techie guy for the masses. Everyone else was doing their Mexican jumping bean impersonations while he just chilled at the computer terminal. I wish I'd thought of that.

Ending on a good note: After 5 years avoiding the jack-in-the-box routine and being unreasonably comfy in his uniform, the asian dude is now an atheist.

Labels:

4 Comments:

At December 21, 2007 5:01 a.m., Anonymous Anonymous said...

Guys who have to wear ties and itchy dress pants to high school, and girls who have to wear ugly, itchy skirts, have one more reason to take up some profession that encourages casual dress. See? Like me, you had that one extra incentive to go into engineering. :-)

 
At December 21, 2007 8:56 a.m., Blogger King Aardvark said...

That's why I feel sorry for all those business school types - they have to dress up so much all the time. Well, I would feel sorry for them, except for the fact that they make a whole lot more money than I do. So they suck.

 
At December 22, 2007 3:56 p.m., Blogger Necator said...

Ahh...Catholic high school memories. I really think most of us guys didn't take nearly as much advantage of the kilts as we should have!

But I agree with your large asian dude, the uniforms rocked. Never did I have to worry about what to wear to school. Although like your pal, I too did not have to wear a tie, and yes, I snuck off to Moore's to get a reasonable approximation of 19th Century grey slacks. Far less itchy (though I did wear the "official" pair too).

As far as I'm concerned, all public schools should have uniforms.

 
At January 03, 2008 2:19 p.m., Blogger King Aardvark said...

Necator, unfortunately, I did not take enough advantage myself.

Re: uniforms and no ties/itchy pants - I detest you both ;-)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home