20 December 2007

Go tell it on a mountain that this song sucks

To get into the Christmas mood, we've been listening to a lot of Christmas songs on internet radio recently. I've been listening to a lot of songs, some religious, some secular. Most are fun, or bring back fond memories of Christmases past, or otherwise have some musical value. One song I really can't stand, though, is Go Tell it on a Mountain. Stuff a stocking up my ass, this song really sucks. It's very repetitive and getting on my nerves.

So, to summarize, this song and the occasional John Tesh (who seems to be everywhere when it comes to Christmas music) is ruining the season for me.

-----------------------

My wife and I were up until 2:30 last night cooking and baking for various potlucks and get-togethers that are coming up soon. My wife especially was baking butter tarts from scratch for about eight hours straight. This holiday crap is exhausting.

Labels: , ,

5 Comments:

At December 20, 2007 6:34 p.m., Blogger langmann said...

I agree that song is lame.

However I think it was used by hippies in the 60s to support Black Rights.

I suppose with some hash it might be decent, or at least easy to remember.

I distinctly remember my mother and a bunch of her hippy friends with some lame ban the bomb sign singing that when I was a kid.

 
At December 21, 2007 2:38 a.m., Blogger Stew said...

At school our trendy music teacher introduced "spirituals" to replace our dreary hymns.
One I couldn't bear because it sucked so bad was "O Sinner Man"

 
At December 21, 2007 4:56 a.m., Anonymous Anonymous said...

My wife especially was baking butter tarts from scratch for about eight hours straight. This holiday crap is exhausting.

Only because you both let it be. I found I enjoy Christmas much more when I don't fuss about baking and decorating. This year's decorations consist of a pink poinsettia on the dining room table, and baking is a couple of loaves of holiday bread. If I need to bring food to a potluck, it'll be a salad or two.

Try it some year. You'll be much happier.

 
At December 21, 2007 8:53 a.m., Blogger King Aardvark said...

Langmann - Neither of my parents were hippies, so I don't really have any first hand knowledge about its use as a civil rights song, but based on some quick research, I think you're right.

Karen - you're definitely right about that. Except that she's the one letting it get out of control like that. I'm far too lazy myself. I'm just along for the ride. And last night, we stayed up baking pies.

Stew - I'd rather have dreary hymms than "spirituals", but I'd rather have neither.

 
At December 22, 2007 4:00 p.m., Blogger Necator said...

Karen's right. F#ck the decorating. I haven't had Christmas decor since I moved out of my parents' place when left for university and it's been great.

It's much more amusing watching everyone else fret over the holidays - especially when they're 'secular Christians' and don't really know why they're doing what they're doing.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home